Saturday, November 10, 2007

Of late

Iv been eating better lately. Anything is better than noodle cups every day. Real food, green food. I smoke less, "on my way to quitting". Quitting is only tough when others around smoke. One of my roommates and my neighbor smokes, they smoke what I smoke, making it worse. Smoking becomes dessert they are only really good on a full stomach.

Last night one of the upstairs neighbor's girlfriend came knocking on our front door asking for cigarettes. In exchange she gave me a piece of licorice. She came back about 30 minutes later, knocked and just stood there with a dollar in her hand looking at me. No smile, no hello, no greeting of any sort. I stared at her, her looks matched her personality, it's in no way a compliment. "Cigarettes?" I asked. She just nodded. I gave her two and she shoved the dollar in my hand and walked back up the steps. I stood there a second thinking they sell these things right across the street.

I look young. Some say it's a good thing. When I'm behind the bar and 30-40 year old women tell me I look like I'm not old enough to be doing my job I get annoyed. The other night I just walked away from customers who said that. If you ladies don't think I'm old enough to serve your drinks then you simply wont get any. It's mainly the women who question my age when behind the bar, but guys whose IDs I check at the front door often ask how old I am. I don't dignify them with an answer, I just come back with something like "old enough to be checking your ID."