Thursday, June 29, 2006

To burn or not to burn

Last night's argument with my mother was about the "Flag Burning Amendment"; it was a much heated debate in my kitchen. I was arguing against such an amendment. Its not that I think flag burning is cool or that it's right; not at all. But people should be free to burn the flag in a nonviolent protest. That's what "being an American" is supposed to be about, our freedom to speak out against our government if we so choose it. I think people should have the freedom to burn any thing they want so long as its on private property, no laws are being broken, and its part of a peaceful nonviolent protest. No one should have to go to jail or get arrested for burning a flag.

My point of view pissed off my mom and she eventually just said: "Fine, I don't wanna talk to you about this anymore!" This is the usual outcome of our many frequent arguments.
New subject: I went to see Superman Returns last night. You'll be happy to know that it wasn't too bad and that I wasn't pissed off when I left the theater. I was surprised to see that there weren't many people at all in the theater, especially it being opening night and all...

ugh... Another friend from high school just told me (via msn) that she's engaged and getting married; oh, and she's PREGNANT!! What is this world coming to when we cant burn flags if you want to and 19 year old girls are getting married and having kids!?!?!?!?!